Health insurance in Turkey
One of the areas which Turkey has had good growth in at recent years can mention to its healthcare system. Health insurance in Turkey is one of the factors that reduces health care costs, also leads to ease in the treatment process.
Currently, according to the new law of Turkey, all citizens of this country should be covered by treatment insurance. The explicit text of article 66 of the Turkish Constitution states: “Every individual is entitled to social security. The State takes the necessary measures to create this confidence and organizes the organization”. Therefore, the government is responsible for ensuring the health of individuals. In the following, we will be with you by explaining the types of insurance and required conditions for obtaining each of them (public or private).
General information about health insurance in Turkey
As noted above, all citizens of Turkey are required to be covered by healthcare insurance. In addition, foreigners who intend to stay in Turkey in any cases must apply for insurance through a private insurance company in Turkey. Therefore, one of the preconditions for obtaining Turkish permit residence is getting health insurance of this country.
The health insurance in Turkey is a combination of governmental and private insurance services. Turkey has a national health insurance plan provided by the social security health administration or SGK (Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu).
SGK health insurance is provided only for persons who have the nationality of Turkey. Otherwise you can only apply for this type of insurance when at least one year has passed since your legal residence in Turkey.
Health Insurance in Turkey for foreigners
Totally, foreigners can be covered by insurance in two ways:
- SGK health insurance through a private insurance company, this type of insurance includes who are investing in a company in Turkey, registering a company or employing a Turkish company. These people can get state insurance through their employer by paying their annual premium.
- The second type which is more common for many foreigners is getting insurance by private companies. So, if you are staying in Turkey in any other way than investing, you must apply for getting insurance through private insurance companies to get this kind of insurance.
Mediterranean Homes Group will be with you step by step to find the best and most suitable health insurance in Turkey which provides comprehensive coverage for you and your loved ones. So if you are planning to immigrate and stay in Turkey follow us on.
The cost of health insurance in Turkey varies due to the type of insurance. According to the law of Turkey, people under the age 18 and over 65 receive free health insurance. Other people aged 18 to 65 years are required to pay an annual premium which usually varies from 400 to 3000 Turkish lira depends on the age of the people, also its coverage rate.
Depending on the type of insurance you choose, when you visit the health centers in Turkey you will pay between 10 to 40 percent of the cost of treatment, and the rest of it will be paid by insurance company.
Here it is necessary to point out that the insurances which have a high premium rather than others will sometimes pay up to one hundred percent of the cost of health care. Furthermore, if you do not have an acute illness you can visit the doctors at the pharmacies completely free of charge and get your medicine as well as.
The benefits of health insurance in Turkey
Insurance in Turkey in addition to being one of the essential requirements for obtaining a residence of the country, has many health benefits as well as. Health care insurance in Turkey include the following services:
- Outpatient treatment
- Organ transplant
- Hospitalization costs
- Dental treatment
- Nose surgery (in case of accident)
- Microbiological tests and pathology
- Services provided in hospital (e.g. surgery room, anesthesia, laboratory…)
- Doctor’s visit cost and all tests that are necessary to diagnose and prevent the disease
- Why invest in Turkey
- Turkey residence permit
- Turkish citizenship by investment
- Turkish title deed “TAPU” process
- How much is the cost of living in Turkey?
Got a question? We’d love to hear from you.